Friday, May 13, 2011

Beautiful Canyon de Chelly, Chinte, AZ

5/11/11 - Well our long awaited return trip to Williams, AZ to see the John Wayne museum was a bust! I finally have a digital camera for this trip(thanks Nancy) and couldn't wait to take pictures of all the J.W. stuff that we didn't get on our first trip here in 2008. Guess what, the guy sold out and took ALL his John Wayne stuff with him, just an empty store front. Oh well, we still had a great day going in & out of shops on Route 66, lots of fun 50's stuff to see. We had a wonderful & cheap lunch at the Brown Bag diner & met a very nice couple from Chillicothe, MO. It's still cold here but NO snow.

5/12/11 - About 35 miles past Flagstaff on I-40 we saw an advertisement's to see a Meteor Crater and we can't past that up. So off we go and it turned out to be very interesting. It's billed as the "Best Preserved Meteorite Impact Site on Earth" formed 50,000 years ago by a giant meteor weighing several hundred tons. It's 550 ft deep, 2.4 miles around and 1 mile across. Now that's a pretty serious hole. After that we found our RV park.....Root 66 located right on Route 66. It's got 22 spaces and sits RIGHT on I-40. I slept w/cotton in my ears but I did sleep. www.meteorcrater.com

We met a very nice couple parked next to us, Judy & Mike, full time RVers. A lucky break for us as they told us about Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Shay, not Chili as Will calls it) They said it was much better than the Grand Canyon and so worth the 1 1/2 drive to get there, located right in the heart of Navajo Nation, Chinte, AZ.

They were soooo right as it is beautiful and fabulous to see. We stopped at the Visitor's Center first (a must) to get information and chose to drive the South Rim that had 7 amazing look out points to view (37 miles round trip.) Everyone was more gorgeous than the last one. I was nervous about Will but he did just fine and loved every minute of it. I must have taken 500 pictures of rocks, each scene was breathtaking. If you every get a chance, this is a MUST SEE for EVERYONE! We are already planning our next trip back in the RV so we can take a tour of the canyon floor. Thank you Judy & Mike! Boy, will we sleep tonight and I bet I don't even need the cotton! Much love to family & friends. www.nps.gov/cach

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Carole, Ron and I took the canyon floor tour in an OLD army truck of some kind or other. I laughed so hard I had everyone else on the open air truck laughing as well. I'll tell you the whole story some time. Fabulous place. We want to go back. I think it's Chinle, AZ. :-)

jasonbob said...

adidas yeezy
off white jordan 1
curry 8
nike react
kd 13
golden goose
lebron james shoes
pandora
kyrie 6
curry 7 shoes

sheastesl said...

allez sur le site Web réplique louis vuitton répliques de sacs top article meilleurs sacs de répliques naviguez vers ce site Web répliques de sacs gucci