Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Will flies to Fresno - Wednesday, 5/18/11

Wednesday - 5/18/11 The big day, sending Will back to Fresno. We got up (if you ask Will, in the middle of the night) actually it was just 5:45 am. Gosh, on my GB3 gym days, I've already worked out for 2 hours by that time. Anyway, we had made a practice run to the airport the day before so felt pretty confident about the trip. And it went off without a hitch, that is until we got to the ticket desk of US Air. They asked for Will's I.D. and as he reached in his pocket he discovered he didn't have his wallet with his drivers license. To say my heart almost stopped as I looked at him in disbelief. The very nice agent told us to go back to the house & get it (a 30 minute plus drive, one way) and if we didn't make his current flight, they would put him on the next one. As we got out of line, he said, "lets check in the suitcase and see if the wallet is in my Levis" so I throw the suitcase down on the floor, unzip it and God Bless him, yes the wallet in his back pocket of his Levis. We run back to the agent who helped us and he's so happy for us (I'm sure he was really happy for Will) and he was able to complete the check in process.

At Nancy's suggestion and prior arrangement, a wheelchair was requested & I was able to accompany him all the way through security and to the gate. It was great, an airline employee pushed him the entire way, they boarded him on the airline first and I was able to leave knowing he was safe and on his way home to be with his family.

Latter that morning I took the car and headed back into Old Town to see the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History . However, they are also having a special display of A New Light on Tiffany. Correspondence by Clara Driscoll, head of the Women's Glass Cutting Department of Tiffany Studios and a designer of lamps and other Tiffany Goods. It was surprising to learn that Clara Driscoll and the Tiffany Girls (as they were called) were responsible for designing most of the firms leaded glass shades. It was a wonderful display and lots of New York maps and pictures of the late 1800 and early 1900's. A wonderful morning for the senior price of $2.00!

After the museum I boarded a trolley for a 1 1/2 hour tour around the city of Albuquerque. The two young men that started and run this trolley, one drives & one gives the talk were wonderful. It was a great time and I got lots of pictures, actually the camera told me that the chip was FULL, I guess I have really taken a lot of pictures so far. Oh well, I'm having fun.

After the trolley ride I headed down to the Amtrak railroad because I found out I can take the train to Santa Fe, NM for senior price of $6.00 round trip. I picked up a schedule & think I will go this Friday. After that I headed back to the RV, dead tired, had some soup and got started on the blog. I sure hope someone out there is reading it!!!! Much love to family and friends.


Rita said...

Don't worry, at least one of us reading the blogs (that would be me) and enjoying the adventures! A friend I had lunch with today was praising the wheelchair rides at the Airport - makes the process almost effortless.
Good to know things are going smoothly.

Cheryl said...

Yes, Carole, some of us are reading every word you write. Do you ever check our comments?