Monday, 7/11/11 - Last night before going to bed it was incredibly hot, humid and actually hard to breath. Because we are plugged into their electricity here we have not been using the air conditioning, just our little table fan. Will also couldn't get over how "still" it was, I mean nothing was moving it was just eery. He was concerned enough to turn on the weather channel to see if there were any warnings of a bad storm in the area. They were talking about the Sahara Desert so I assured him things must be ok or else the "storm watchers" would be on patrol. We turned off the TV and went to bed but sleeping was impossible in this heat. Somewhere along the line I fell asleep but Will says he hardly slept at all.
About 5 am this morning we heard this lightning, thunder and a crash. The wind had started blowing so hard it was smashing the big awning over the front door like crazy. We jumped out of bed and Will started out the front door. The wind was so strong it we couldn't even open the door. At this moment it is pouring rain and every window and vent on the roof is open and water is coming in from everywhere. Will is outside and I am trying to retract the awning from inside (we have a switch at the front door that extents/retracts this awning) I had to find a flashlight & try to get to the switch. Now all this is happening in minutes. I'm sure, as I think Will did, the big awning is smashed & unusable but glory be, I hit the button and in it comes. It didn't seem to come all the way so we were sure there was a problem but at least it was up. Will ran to the other side of the RV to put up the kitchen/living room awnings while I'm running and shutting windows to keep the rain out. Shortly, the wind subsides but it continues to rain, thunder and lightning. We can't believe what just happened and are grateful it wasn't worse than it was. Around 6 am Chuck came out to check on us and told us the TV reported wind gusts of up to 50 miles per hour. I believe it!!!
Within a couple hours the sun came out and it was beautiful again however it is still very hot and humid. Will has checked the awning and thinks it is ok but the test will come when we are driving. While watching the weather channel this morning they show very hot and stormy weather for the surrounding areas in this next week so we have decided to "hit the road" for Ohio tomorrow. With Wills kids coming into Dayton on July 20th and the wedding July 23rd it just makes more sense for us to be closer to Dayton in case of bad weather or trouble. So that's the plan, we leave Iowa tomorrow - weather permitting!
This morning, after the big storm I did some laundry and visited with Ann and her daughter Sherry. Sherry is in the process of opening her own quilting store in a small town near here and judging from what I have seen of her work...she will be very successful. Good Luck Sherry!
This afternoon we went into Davenport to WalMart to get a pedicure, get some money and do a little shopping. As soon as we returned we took a nap, exhausted from last night and our early morning extravaganzas. This evening Ann is attending a tractor organization meeting they belong to and Chuck and Will are trying to get an antique truck started that Chuck is going to display at the truck show this Friday at the Worlds Largest Truck Stop, I80. Hey, they just got it started and drove the 1919 Osmobile truck by the RV to show me and boy are they happy and having fun driving all around the farm.. It's a different way of life here. Much love to all family and friends.